Monday 19 August 2013

Big Changes: From City Lawyer to Owner of an online magazine!



As part of our continuing series on people who have made inspirational big changes in their working lives, quittingthe9to5 interviewed Leyla Preston. Leyla is the owner and Editor of Motherhood Diaries Global Magazine for Parents. Leyla is a busy mother of two even busier boys; Aron, 2 ½ years, and Aidan, 16 months. When Leyla isn't feeding, changing nappies or cleaning the infinite mess at home, she is busy working on her magazine, and her law consultancy, L Law Consultancy  – no rest for the wicked! 



What were you doing before you set up www.motherhooddiaries.com?

I was working towards my law career right before I found out I was pregnant with my eldest son. My pregnancy was the perfect excuse to quit my job at a City law firm because I hated how competitive and corporate it was, and I probably would have never seen my children if I had gone back to my old job.

What were the circumstances that led you to make the jump to running your own business?

I found out I was pregnant, which was a huge surprise as my husband and I were not planning a family at all. We were both at the height of our careers. I had already decided that if I were to get pregnant, I would quit my job, and I have always wanted to own a successful business. So I thought, rather than thinking about it, just do it! I set up a blog of my son’s pregnancy in the last months of my employment and a Law Consultancy to keep my feet in the legal industry. The blog grew through recommendations from my friends and family. I took some time off from the Law Consultancy and finally launched the magazine in May 2013, two years after I set up my blog.

What has been the hardest thing for you to overcome in order to launch the business?

The biggest constraint by far has been time. Managing two boys under three and a new business requires efficiency and enough time to work on both without neglecting the other.  But because my boys come first, I only end up getting about two hours in the day to work on my business, and that sometimes means two hours spread throughout the day! Doesn't help speed the process of growing my business along…

What has been the best piece of advice you have received?

Don’t lose your drive and ambition to succeed. Keep your goals clear and keep working, one step at a time. You will get there, whether you are slower or quicker than everyone else, you have obstacles to face, or you don’t have enough time. Stay focused.

If you could do it all again what would you change?

Hindsight is a wonderful thing and rather than setting up my blog, I would have gone straight into creating my magazine with all the knowledge and experience I have now. It would also mean that I would be two years ahead in my business plan. Having said that, I wouldn't have made all of the mistakes and learned valuable lessons from them if I hadn't had those two years to find myself and my business.

Did you have to source finance for your venture or did you use savings?

I used the last three months of my employment salary to start my blog and buy the host and domain. I had very little start up overheads, having expenses only in my domain and host server. But I set up a Law Consultancy in January 2012 and that has funded my magazine to date.

How did the idea for the business come to you?

When I found out I was pregnant in March 2010, the mummy blogging world was still relatively unknown. I searched high and low on the internet for a personal weekly pregnancy blog and found Emma’s Diary, a pretty large corporate site with a small weekly blog of Emma’s pregnancy. I liked the personal connection I felt with her stories and wanted to set up something similar to this. A lot of mums and mums-to-be then started asking me what I ate during my pregnancy, how did I keep healthy and where were the best places to buys maternity clothes, to name a few. So I converted my blog into a website full of information I found during my pregnancy. I then had my babies and documented their birth stories on the website. Mums then started contacting me with their birth stories and I published them. I started to think about what happened beyond birth and readers sent in their stories and recommendations. I've always wanted to own a printed magazine, so I fused the two ideas together and started up an online magazine instead!

How long was the set up process before the business launched and what did it involve?

The process took a lot longer than it should have taken, mostly because I employed website designers who took 8 months to design and build the site, and then they ran off with my money! So I lost 8 months and in that time I had created a lot of pre-launch buzz and the buzz was starting to wear off. I employed new website designers and they finished the site in 3 months. I took a few months to sort out the content and the layout and then sent out a press release to all the major PR companies and parenting sites to alert them of the new magazine. I utilise social networking sites well and have affiliated social media sites in Facebook, Twitter, Google+, LinkedIn and Pinterest. The key is to market, market, market and network, network, network! I also created business cards to hand out to people I believe would be interested in the magazine and I plan to design some flyers to hand out to people on the street. I have started networking a lot more now as a lot of small business owners don’t realise how valuable networking is to promote your business.

Have you had any extra training to help you with the business or did you use skills that you already possessed?

I have always wanted to start my own business, so I read a lot about business and how to set up one from newspapers and magazines, offline and online. I have never had any formal training, I just learn from reading about successful business owner’s successes and mistakes. I think the key is to keep an open mind and take in the information that makes sense to you. As mine is a purely online business, I learned a lot from reading and studying online websites related to my field. And, don’t be afraid to contact your competitors and ask for advice! They might say no, but there will be the odd one that will be happy to help. Even better, contact successful business owners. I contacted Nick Hewer from The Apprentice and he responded with fantastic advice! He said, ‘Don’t worry about monetisation right now, build your reputation, credibility and excellent content and monetisation will come naturally’.

Thank you so much Leyla! If anyone wants to find out more about your business how can they contact you or see the magazine?

You can follow me on Twitter (@M_Diaries) or join the busy Motherhood Diaries Facebook group where all mums get together and share stories and solutions with one another: https://www.facebook.com//groups/motherhooddiaries/
If you want to see my law consultancy website it's (www.llawconsultancy.co.uk)
Feel free to email me at leyla@motherhooddiaries.com for more information and very best of luck with your business!  Thank you!!!

Thanks again Leyla! Some great information for everyone to digest and hopefully get useful tips from! What did you think of Leyla's story? Do you have one of your own to share? Did Leyla inspire you to do something different? Let us know!

Love Nova xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment